World’s First Pressure-based Gait Authentication System
Biometric Physical Security • Dual Authentication Access Control • Multi-Subject Tracking • Real-time streaming of data
Stepscan® Secure is the world's first pressure-based gait-authentication system for access control. Stepscan® is the only company producing modular pressure-sensitive flooring that is large enough to capture many footsteps of natural gait leading to a secure area. It is configurable to suit most any space or hallway.
Stepscan® also has developed the world's first in multiple subject tracking based on real-time streaming of footprint data. This enables us to collect the footprint paths/tracks of multiple individuals simultaneously and combine the footprints in each person's path for added verification accuracy.
Based on the above features of our Stepscan® platform and research supported by the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) we have shown that we are able to analyze various features of a person's gait and foot/floor interactions and differentiate individuals just by their walking patterns.
Features at a Glance:
- Gait samples for registration can be acquired passively during initial entries
- Unobtrusive scanning as part of entrance system
- Indiscernible to the public/would be imposters
- Detects tailgating
- Very difficult to steal/hack a person's gait to bypass system
Access control is an integral part of any business or facility's security, ensuring that only those with proper authority and credentials gain access. To enhance security measures many facilities are now moving to 2-Factor or Multi-Factor Authentication methods. They are usually a combination of a knowledge factor (PIN code), a Possession Factor (key card) and an Inherent factor (usually a biometric method such as a fingerprint, face or retinal scan).
2-Factor authentication helps ensure that the person attempting to gain access is who they say they are and reduces the risk of unauthorized access due to stolen passwords or key cards.
Stepscan's® pressure-based gait authentication system uses a subject's gait as the biometric authentication, providing next-level of security unavailable with any other system:
- Passive registration - unlike other biometric technologies which require formal user registration, gait samples for registration can be acquired silently during initial entries reducing burden to both the staff and those seeking access.
- Unobtrusive - A key feature of most biometrics is that the user must present themselves (e.g. finger, hand, iris, face etc) to a sensor and be scanned. Gait is a natural movement that usually takes place leading up to a secure entrance. It is completely unobtrusive.
- Indiscernible - Because a user isn't required to actively present themselves for inspection, there is also the potential for making it hidden - and generally unknown to would be imposters
- Detects tailgating - The flooring solution can be used to detect when two or more individuals enter a secure space only on the authentication of one individual.
- Very secure - As gait is a by-product of a person's biomechanical makeup, it cannot easily be mimicked.
WANT TO SEE STEPSCAN IN ACTION?
Interested in learning more?
Talk to a Stepscan Product Specialist to discuss your specific needs and to see what Stepscan can do for you.